Fair History


 

Damascus Community Fair History

      It was a long time ago (in 1926 and 1927) when Elwood Nehouse won a first and second place ribbon at the Damascus Community Fair.  Since then the Fair had continued until the present day (stopping only during the years surrounding World War II).  The Damascus Community Fair has been an integral part of the history of Damascus,  especially since Damascus was an important agricultural center for all of Montgomery County.

     The Fair was held at Damascus High School until 1989 and was sponsored by the FFA and FHA.  After Work War II and until 1958, the Fair had exhibitors showing their wares in such categories as vegetables, poultry, small grain, hay, corn, silage, seed, clothing, and canned good.  In 1958, the Fair added Dairy and Livestock exhibitors and then in 1961, the FFA/4-H Beef show and sale.  Shortly thereafter, the Fair again expanded and included horticulture and flowers.  Two popular events held yearly were introduced respectively in 1970 and 1987 – the Garden Tractor Pull and the Cake Auction.

     In 1989, when agricultural courses were no longer being offered at Damascus High School, the Fair moved its setting to the Damascus Volunteer Fire Department’s Carnival grounds/activity center on Lewis Drive.  To date, the Fair continues to receive support by the Volunteer Fire Department.  The Fair is also supported by community volunteers, some serving on the Board of Directors, by the Damascus Future Farmers Association and Alumni, the Damascus Livestock Club, and community 4-H clubs.

     The Damascus Community Fair continues as a present day reminder of what Damascus was like many years ago and also allows our community a special place to learn and have fun in their own backyard.


If you have any photographs at the Fair or stories from the Fair that you could share, please mail a copy to Fair Historian, Thomas 'Tucky' Woodfield in C/O The Damascus Community Fair, P.O. Box 531, Damascus, Maryland 20872.

 

ALWAYS FREE ADMISSIONS !